Is it safe to eat cheese that has mold on it

Is it safe to eat cheese that has mold on it?

Cheese is possibly the greatest form of food that milk can strive to be, and I do not believe I am exaggerating when I say this. In fact, there is likely a cheese for nearly every palate among the hundreds of varieties available, and nearly every culture around the world that has access to milk has developed its own version of it—from soft fresh cheeses that can be eaten the same day they are made to aged cheeses that are old enough to vote in the next election. Even the most basic grocery shop these days has a good selection of slabs and wedges to pick from, and if you are anything like me, it is easy to overbuy. It is also simple to lose track of a cheese that has previously been unwrapped and unwrap a fresh one instead. As a result, we are forced to deal with rotten cheese on a regular basis. Which raises the issue of whether rotten cheese can be salvaged and, if so, how do I know?

Good mold vs. bad mold 

In some senses, every cheese is a kind of mould in and of itself. Furthermore, many of the moulds used in cheesemaking are excellent. Soft-rind cheeses, such as Brie or Camembert, may have a thick layer of white mould on them, similar to the blue veins in your beloved Gorgonzola. And, to be honest, none of the moulds that are likely to develop on your cheeses will cause you any health problems if you consume them. However, they have the ability to negatively impact the taste of your cheese, and not in a good manner. As a result, it is essential to understand how to deal with mould on your cheeses in order to avoid wasting any of the tasty morsels.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do with rotten cheese?

First, determine the sort of cheese being used to assess the mould condition. It is best to just discard any fresh soft cheese—ricotta, mascarpone, chèvre, and so on—because the moist atmosphere implies that the mould has most certainly permeated the cheese and, although it is not poisonous, will have had a poor effect on the taste. Soft cheeses, such as Brie or Port-Salut, should have roughly a quarter-inch of mould removed from the surface of the cheese before it is served. When it comes to harder, older cheeses such as aged Cheddar or Parmesan, the mould may simply be scraped away. The white, fluffy mould that is tinted with green has the least amount of taste impact and may be easily sliced away without issue. Mold that is black or grey in colour is less desirable, and you should chop away more of it to ensure that any cheese that has been damaged is removed. Any rotten cheese that has an ammonia odour or that is both mouldy and moist should be thrown out immediately.

What if I accidentally ate rotten cheese?

You ate cheese, which meant that you were consuming mould in any case. If you ate a complete wedge of cheese that was densely covered with green fur (and if you did, you may have other problems that need to be addressed), you are unlikely to get ill from cheese that has a little amount of mould on it, according to the CDC. Your stomach acid is a potent substance that will destroy the mould spores before you even notice any effects from the mould exposure.

What should I do to keep the cheese from moulding?

The most effective method of preventing cheese from moulding is to store it correctly and consume it within an acceptable time limit. Wrap the cheese in special cheese paper or a layer of parchment paper to keep it fresh longer. Label the cheese with the sort of cheese and the date it was purchased. Refrigerate or store in your crisper drawer, where the temperature and humidity will be constant. If you have a separate wine refrigerator, you may keep cheese in it since the temperatures are less frigid there, which is actually healthier for the cheese in this case.

What cheeses have the lowest risk of mould growth?

Do you want to stay as far away from the mould problem as possible? Choose long-aged, hard cheeses such as Parmesan, pecorino, older Cheddars, aged Gouda, and the like instead of softer varieties. Cheeses that have been aged for at least 18 months are the least prone to mould on you.

Bottom line

Whichever cheeses you want, be sure to get them fresh and keep them correctly. Don’t be concerned if a little amount of mould appears on them. After all, in the world of cheese, the mould may often be the most delectable component!

CHECK MORE ARTICLES!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.